Jul 18, 2009

Define Yourself-Revisited

Ok, so here's the story about searching for candy...and god.
My mom was a crunchy granola long before it became California cool. For those of you old enough to remember it was the days of Adelle Davis, and health food stores were tucked back into obscure alleys without corporate logos.

Anyway, we did not have candy and sweet treats in my house. I remember putting blue food dye and molasses into a glass of milk as my closest approximation to a soft drink when I was seven. I felt that Halloween was a gift from the gods, and if someone told me I had to sacrifice other people in a blazing fire in order to celebrate this holiday, I would have done so without blinking. So that's where the candy part comes from.

For the second part...

I was raised in a typical Judaic home and we observed all of the tenets of reform Judaism. I still hold strongly to those values and that ethnic background, but even at a young age I gravitated towards eastern philosophy and spiritualism. I began practicing yoga at age 18 but after a few years it became only a physical pursuit not a spiritual one. (I am thankful for it as it helps keep my ageing body together.) I read and dabbled in meditation, Hinduism and chanting.

If I had to label myself, I would say I am more Buddhist than anything, and I try to live by Buddhist concepts although not strictly. Ialso am drawn to some of the Toltec wisdom that I have come across- I am still searching and I find truth in nature and in the writings of other people who are looking for this being/energy called god. Have you seen him lately?

3 comments:

  1. I like this, giving more information about you, and all the other additions. The photo of the family adds credibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine is low on iron, so she mixes a tablespoon of molasses in with rice milk. I tried it once and it's not that bad. However, it doesn't approximate a soft drink at all even if it was dyed blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole,
    What can I say? I was desperate!

    ReplyDelete